Clients and Industries
Bill represents public and private companies and individuals, including banks and other lenders, executives, managers, and licensed professionals (such as brokers and traders), accountants, mortgage brokers and contractors. His clients at Collora LLP are associated with many sectors of commerce, including financial services, banking, mutual fund, securities brokerage, Internet commerce, automotive retail and construction.
Practice Areas and Experience
Bill's practice focuses on complex civil and white collar criminal litigation, internal and government investigations, and enforcement actions related to sophisticated financial matters.
Business Disputes: As a former auditor and management accountant, Bill uses his accounting background to help clients resolve financial disputes in the boardroom and in the courtroom. He advises shareholders and partners in closely held businesses in cases involving accounting fraud and malpractice, as well as financial disputes related to acquisitions, loans, stock purchases, breach of fiduciary duty and other complex transactions. Bill also represents clients in civil suits brought against public accounting firms seeking to recover damages suffered as a result of negligently performed audits.
Government Investigations and Enforcement Matters: Bill represents clients in both civil and criminal government investigations and enforcement matters with a focus on financial matters, including tax issues, improper accounting practices, money laundering and securities infractions. He advises individual and corporate clients under investigation by federal grand juries and clients who are subjects of SEC enforcement actions. Bill also represents clients before private sector oversight boards such as the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB).
Tax Controversies: Prior to joining Collora, Bill was a federal prosecutor with the Department of Justice (DOJ) Tax Division where he worked closely with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to investigate tax controversies. His experience includes prosecuting and defending cases involving allegations of tax evasion, false returns, aiding and abetting, tax conspiracy, failures to file, sales and use tax practices, excise tax payments, fuel and road tax payments, and improper tax withholding. Bill's practice also includes advising clients on compliance with the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA).
Professional Experience Outside of Collora LLP
Bill joined Collora LLP in 2006 after serving more than six years as a federal prosecutor at the U.S. Department of Justice. While at the Department of Justice, he served as a Special Assistant United States Attorney in the Eastern District of Virginia and was recognized with the Outstanding Attorney Award in 2002, 2003 and 2005.
Prior to practicing law, Bill was an auditor for several regional and international banking and investment management institutions. He was responsible for conducting and managing compliance investigations and financial audits.
Representative Matters *
- Successfully represented financial professionals targeted in market-timing investigation by the government
- Defended a car dealership before a federal grand jury investigation that resulted in no charges being brought against the client.
- Assisted individual account holders who had invested money in off-shore banks with participating in the IRS Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Initiative (OVDI) and complying with the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA).
- Represented a syndicate of banks in connection with claim brought against Big Four accounting firm related to auditors failure to detect massive fraud in a large publicly traded company.
- Represented family members who were shareholders in a closely held corporation in claims against a Big Four accounting firm related to the sale of the family business.
- Represented auditors in disciplinary proceedings brought by the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) pertinent to various matters.
- Represented owner of a construction company in connection with an investigation involving payroll tax and workers compensation matters.
- Secured the dismissal of misrepresentation claims brought against a contractor in multi-million dollar development project.
- Represent partners and shareholders in Massachusetts companies in breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract, and Chapter 93A claims.
- As a federal prosecutor, successfully prosecuted tax evasion, mortgage fraud and money laundering.
* This sampling of cases represents a selected, small portion of this lawyer's total experience and past performance is not intended to be a representation of likely future results, which must be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Bill can provide a list of citations to reported cases in which he was counsel of record upon request.
Bill is described by friends as "a good listener," and he believes that quality helps him to effectively communicate with his clients, opposing parties and judges in the boardroom and the courtroom. Outside of the office, he coaches his daughter’s sports teams, assists at a local food pantry and is an avid runner.