Clients and Industries
Michael has represented a wide array of clients from many industries during his career. In recent years, he has frequently represented companies, executives, managers, shareholders, brokers, traders and professionals in the financial services sector. Institutions he has represented include mutual funds, investment banks and private equity funds.
Practice Areas and Experience
Michael handles complex civil and criminal litigation in federal and state courts, as well as regulatory work dealing with federal and state regulatory agencies. He is a founding partner, and his work has encompassed many practice areas and industries during his career.
He has frequently represented both plaintiffs and defendants in securities cases, including investigations by the SEC and state security offices. He has extensive experience in matters involving allegations of stock fraud, irregular accounting practices and insider trading. In addition, he has tried over sixty federal cases to a judge or jury.
Clients also hire Michael to assess the merits, likely outcomes and projected costs of litigation in all kinds of commercial cases, including cases involving arcane matters, such as disputes over the value of shipping vessels.
Professional Experience Outside of Collora LLP
Before founding Collora LLP, Michael served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney for eight years and headed the U.S. Attorney’s Special Investigation Unit from 1979-1981.
Sample of Results in Practice *
- Obtained dismissal of class action for financial services client alleged to have made false or misleading statements or omissions in connection with the purchase and sale of securities.
- Obtained a $10 million settlement for clients harmed by improper electronic wire transfer after winning a summary judgment ruling in federal court on issues of first impression regarding wire transfers.
- Represented securities trader for a large investment house, obtaining a favorable settlement after winning a trial court ruling in case involving alleged breach of agreement regarding option executions.
- Obtained acquittal by federal court jury for client who had been charged with mail fraud in connection with a commercial enterprise by prosecutors.
- Negotiated recovery of more than $2 million from three investment houses on behalf of investor plaintiffs after initiating federal court action and obtaining a motion for summary judgment that put case in favorable negotiating posture.
- Resolved criminal and civil investigations by the government on behalf of various defense contractor clients that were charged with overbilling, kickbacks or false certifications, in some cases avoiding the imposition of any criminal charges, fines and/or debarments.
- Obtained “not guilty” verdicts in both federal and state court cases for individual clients accused of murder.
* This sampling of cases represents a selected, small portion of this lawyer’s total experience and past performance is not intended to be a representation of likely future results, which must be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Michael can provide a substantial list of citations to reported cases in which he was counsel of record upon request.
When Michael is not advocating for his clients, he is often outdoors, hiking, skiing or biking. He is also a sailing enthusiast who takes to the water whenever time and weather conditions permit.