Clients and Industries
During her career, Maria has represented many different companies, executives and professionals in connection with a variety of civil, administrative and criminal proceedings. She has served clients in a wide variety of industries, including health care, medical device manufacturing, financial services, environmental services, real estate development and sales, and construction services.
Practice Areas and Experience
Maria is a partner at Collora LLP, where she currently co-chairs the firm's Ethics Committee. She focuses her practice exclusively in the area of litigation. Individuals and companies have sought her counsel in a wide variety of civil business matters, including complex contract disputes, brokerage disputes, and disagreements relating to mergers and acquisitions. She has also represented companies and individuals in a broad range of criminal defense matters involving allegations of fraud, violations of securities and health care regulations and public corruption. In addition, she has successfully handled responses to investigations by federal, state and local law enforcement and government regulators.
Professional Experience Outside of Collora LLP
Maria has been associated with the firm for over twenty years, with a brief sabbatical in 1998 when she served as a Special Assistant District Attorney in Suffolk County, Massachusetts.
Sample of Results in Practice *
- Member of defense team representing medical device manufacturer in complex multi-district litigation comprised of over 8,000 individual law suits alleging manufacture of defective products.
- Member of trial team responsible for securing jury verdict awarding global health care client additional $95 million tax deduction for ordinary and necessary business expenses related to civil False Claims Act settlement.
- Appointed as new lead trial counsel on the eve of a trial related to multi-year litigation involving complex commercial lease dispute. Achieved a favorable pre-trial resolution to greatly reduce the original settlement demand, avoiding a multi-million dollar risk at trial.
- Won multi-million dollar federal court verdict as lead trial counsel for a domestic subsidiary of a multi-billion dollar international environmental company involved in a complex commercial agreement dispute.
- Lead attorney responsible for conducting internal investigation and negotiations with the Environmental Protection Agency concerning client's certification and branding of ENERGY STAR label on distributed products.
- Represented corporate controller of telecommunications company in joint investigation by the U.S. Attorney's Office and SEC/Washington concerning alleged backdating of stock options.
- Represented only defendant to receive a non-incarceration sentence in a 13-defendant, complex money laundering and wire fraud case.
- Defeated indictment of well-established construction company in grand jury investigation into alleged False Claims Act violation.
- Defended president of medical products division of a leading medical device company against multi-count felony indictment alleging health care fraud. Resolved the case through dismissal of all felony counts and a plea to a misdemeanor violation.
- Avoided indictment of a client in investigation of securities law violations, which investigation resulted in indictments and convictions of others.
* This sampling of cases represents a selected, small portion of this lawyer’s total experience and past performance is not intended to be a representation of likely future results, which must be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Maria can provide a substantial list of citations to cases in which she was counsel of record upon request.
Maria is passionate about providing service to her chosen profession, spending a fair amount of her time outside of work in service to the bar and to indigent clients. She is also passionate about providing service to her commercial clients and recognizes the importance of sound legal advice to the continued financial health of her clients' business. She works hard to fully understand her clients' business and values the level of trust and confidence her clients have repeatedly and consistently placed in her.