Clients and Industries
In more than twenty-five years of legal practice, Kathy has represented many companies, executives and licensed professionals associated with a variety of industries. She has particularly significant experience representing clients in the health care, pharmaceutical, medical device, financial services and investment banking industries.
Practice Areas and Experience
Kathy works predominantly for clients faced with governmental investigations and enforcement actions, but she has also assisted clients in conducting sensitive internal investigations of suspected misconduct or non-compliance in order to avoid or minimize the damage from any adverse action by the government or other parties.
She is highly experienced in responding to investigations and government charges, and she has handled numerous hearings, trials and appeals related to actions by state and federal prosecutors, as well as governmental agencies.
As a result, Kathy has successfully dealt with a wide array of problems, including issues related to suspected health care fraud, off-label promotion of drugs and medical devices, improper pricing and kickbacks, bank fraud, securities law violations, conflict of interest rules and gift/gratuity rules affecting brokers and traders, and all kinds of government contracting fraud.
Professional Experience Outside of Collora LLP
Kathy began her legal career with Wilmer, Cutler & Pickering (now WilmerHale) in Washington, D.C., where she practiced for several years. In addition to her role as a founding partner of Collora, Kathy is an active leader of the Boston Bar Association where she recently served as President and member of the Executive Committee and previously co-chaired the Criminal Law Section, as well as the Membership and Nominating Committees.
Sample of Results in Practice *
- Represented Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company in multi-year, multi-issue and parallel criminal and civil health care fraud investigation by the U.S. Attorney's Office in Boston. A civil resolution was achieved, and neither the company nor any employees were charged with crimes.
- Defended international investment bank in securities investigation of its conduct as a financial advisor in connection with a large corporate merger. As a result, no enforcement proceedings were commenced.
- Represented executives of pharmaceutical companies targeted for indictment in federal criminal off-label promotion investigation, following guilty pleas by the companies. The investigations concluded without any criminal charges against the clients.
- Represented an international food services corporation, resolving a federal criminal tax investigation of an acquired company. The matter was concluded with a resolution involving only the defunct acquired company. That company’s shareholders and its law firm reimbursed our client for all costs and expenses associated with that action.
- Defended a large public housing owner/operator charged with violation of HUD regulations, negotiating a favorable civil resolution with the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York and U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- Negotiated favorable resolution of securities enforcement proceeding against broker-dealer client regarding its relationships with hedge fund managers.
- Repeated representations of companies, executives and employees in financial services and health care industries, avoiding conviction, exclusion and debarments, as well as imposition of any material fines or penalties.
* This sampling of cases represents a selected, small portion of this lawyer’s total experience and past performance is not intended to be a representation of likely future results, which must be assessed on a case-by-case basis.