Clients and Industries
Justin advises public and private companies, professional service firms, nonprofits, government entities, executives, managers, partners, shareholders, and licensed professionals in a variety of industries, including financial services, insurance, software, health care, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, engineering, construction, real estate, telecommunications, government, legal, manufacturing, and retail.
Practice Areas and Experience
Justin is a Partner at the firm who appears in state and federal courts, at both the trial and appellate levels, representing clients in civil litigation and government enforcement actions. He negotiates, litigates, tries, and resolves a range of commercial disputes including claims of fraud and misrepresentation, negligence, breach of contract, professional malpractice, wrongful death, breach of fiduciary duty, and unfair and deceptive business practices. In government investigations and criminal defense matters, he represents clients in cases involving various federal and state government agencies.
Professional Experience Outside of Collora LLP
Justin served as a law clerk to the Honorable Patti B. Saris on the United States District Court and as an attorney at Foley Hoag LLP before joining Collora LLP in 2005. He also previously worked as a public affairs consultant and as a political campaign organizer for candidates including U.S. Senators Edward Kennedy and John Kerry.
Sample of Results in Practice *
- Won dismissal of three False Claims Act whistleblower cases in federal court.
- Won jury trial for plaintiff in state Superior Court regarding multiple fraudulent transfers of financial assets worth over $2 million.
- Won decision in Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court that established the enforceability of arbitration agreements for unfair and deceptive trade practices claims that involve interstate commerce.
- Won dismissal of case against a city and its mayor involving alleged housing fraud, and succeeded in having dismissal affirmed by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 1st Circuit based in part on issues of first impression.
- Won a multi-million dollar federal court verdict for a domestic subsidiary of a multi-billion dollar international company involved in a complex commercial agreement dispute. Our client won despite a previous conviction of the client’s local manager in connection with the contract. Case involved issues of first impression under the Uniform Procurement Act in Massachusetts.
- Successfully settled civil lawsuit involving dispute over rights to certain engineering intellectual property, attaining the goals set by the client.
- Won reversal on appeal of a trial court’s damages award against our client regarding real estate finance transactions.
- Defended public contractor in federal and state investigations and in civil litigation stemming from Central Artery Project (the "Big Dig") with successful pretrial resolutions of all matters.
* This sampling of cases represents a selected, small portion of this lawyer’s total experience and past performance is not intended to be a representation of likely future results, which must be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Justin grew up in Brookline, Massachusetts, the youngest of six children. A student of history and politics, he has worked in all three branches of the federal government, committed the names of every U.S. president in order to memory, and is an avid reader of historic markers and plaques. Justin also enjoys hiking and considers The Godfather the best movie ever made.