Clients and Industries
In employment cases, Jody has represented executives, managers, licensed professionals, and both union and nonunion workers in various crafts and trades. She has also represented companies and institutions as employers, so she understands the strategies and tactics associated with each perspective, and utilizes that to her advantage in any employment related legal proceeding. Her clients have come from many different industries, including the health care, pharmaceutical, financial services, hospitality, national defense and government service sectors of commerce.
Practice Areas and Experience
Jody concentrates her practice on representing clients involved in employment disputes, most often representing plaintiffs. She has represented both individuals and companies in a wide variety of disputes, including employment related contract, tort and discrimination cases. Jody has extensive experience in civil litigation before state and federal courts and government agency forums. She has conducted jury and nonjury trials, appeals and is also skilled in various forms of alternative dispute resolution, including mediation and collaborative law.
She is also an experienced workplace trainer and has developed individualized employment law and professionalism trainings for businesses large and small. Jody also conducts sensitive internal investigations of high risk claims and serves as a trainer for HR Certifications, Inc. in conducting independent investigations. Jody is also a certified Title IX investigator and is a member of the Title IX Adjudication/Investigation panel of Harvard Law School.
Jody is also skilled in a neutral role. She is an MCLE certified mediator and has conducted many successful mediations. She also is a trained arbitrator and a member of the American Arbitration Association’s Employment Law Panel.
Much of her work has involved matters relating to gender bias, sexual harassment and discrimination based on age, disability, sexual orientation, race or national origin, including retaliation. She is very experienced in negotiating separation and severance agreements.
Professional Experience Outside of Collora LLP
Jody began her career more than thirty years ago with Collora LLP, serving as Managing Partner from 2007-2012. During her tenure with the firm, she has also served on the Boards of the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights, the Women's Bar Association and Massachusetts Appleseed Center for Law and Justice, devoting significant time to those nonprofit endeavors.
Sample of Results in Practice *
- Obtained multi-million dollar judgment for an executive in a stockholder’s dispute following protracted litigation, including jury and jury waived trials in Massachusetts Superior court and direct appellate review by the Supreme Judicial Court.
- Obtained large six figure gender bias award at Massachusetts Commission against Discrimination against governmental entity in case involving failure to promote based on merit and retaliation. Successfully obtained emotional distress damages and defended the award through two rounds of appeals, ultimately securing an award of prejudgment interest that more than doubled the original award.
- Tried first Sarbanes Oxley whistleblower case in Boston regional office of the U.S. Department of Labor, representing an executive who was found to have been terminated for trying to insure company adherence to federal securities laws.
- Secured a number of large, six figure settlements for women executives and professionals adversely affected by gender bias in different commercial sectors.
- Acted as co-counsel with the American Civil Liberties Union representing individuals challenging English only workplace policies, resulting in conciliation agreement and consent decree with Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
- Obtained large jury verdict in glass ceiling gender bias case, and then resolved the case through mediation after the Supreme Judicial Court clarified the proper jury charge instructions in discrimination cases.
* This sampling of cases represents a selected, small portion of this lawyer’s total experience and past performance is not intended to be a representation of likely future results, which must be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Jody can provide a list of citations to reported cases in which she was counsel of record upon request.