Clients and Industries
Ingrid’s legal work is centered on the health care industry. She has represented physicians and other licensed medical professionals, as well as medical device companies, physician practices, pharmacies, physical therapy businesses and other entities in the health care field.
Practice Areas and Experience
Ingrid is an experienced criminal defense attorney and civil litigator who has successfully handled both trials and appeals in state and federal courts.
She focuses her practice on the intersection between criminal defense and health care law, where a seemingly minor infraction can rapidly escalate into career threatening license and accreditation challenges, as well as exclusion from Medicare and other federal health care programs.
She routinely handles all types of federal and state government investigations faced by medical professionals, health care entities and members of the pharmaceutical and medical device industry. These include investigations by the United States Department of Justice, the FDA, the DEA, and the Office of the Inspector General of Health & Human Services, as well as the Massachusetts Attorney General, the Board of Registration in Medicine and the Department of Professional Licensure. She also handles contractual and business litigation matters for her clients where her familiarity with the health care regulatory environment can be critical.
Ingrid also guides clients through peer review proceedings initiated by hospitals or insurance companies, as well as audits, licensing and accreditation procedures.
Professional Experience Outside of Collora LLP
After law school, Ingrid was selected for a two-year federal clerkship with the Honorable Judge O'Toole of the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts. She then served as an Assistant Attorney General in the Massachusetts Attorney General's Corruption, Fraud & Computer Crime Division working on a wide variety of white collar and Internet crimes before she moved to private practice in 2005.
Sample of Results in Practice *
- Represented pharmaceutical company employees in connection with a kickback investigation brought by the United States Department of Justice, obtaining immunity agreements for each of them.
- Represented physician in investigation by Health & Human Services and the Department of Justice into the propriety of his Medicare billing practices, negotiating a plea agreement that resulted in no time served, no revocation of his license and no exclusion from Medicare.
- Resolved investigation by the United States Department of Justice and the DEA into a national pharmacy chain for possible diversion of prescription medication with an administrative settlement and no admission of liability.
- Challenged the subpoena authority of the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Medicine before the Supreme Judicial Court. In a case of first impression, the Court ruled that the statutory psychotherapist-patient privilege trumps the Board's subpoena power.
- Obtained dismissal of multi-count indictment against chiropractor wrongfully charged with insurance fraud by the Massachusetts Attorney General.
- After presentation of witnesses and evidence, obtained ruling from Department of Administrative Law Appeals that physician's conduct met the standard of care and that his license to practice medicine should be restored.
- Advised medical device company regarding new pricing structure to ensure compliance with Anti-Kickback Statute.
* This sampling of cases represents a selected, small portion of this lawyer’s total experience and past performance is not intended to be a representation of likely future results, which must be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
In addition to being a dedicated lawyer, Ingrid is a huge Red Sox fan and a devoted mom to two young boys. She has also earned a 3rd degree black belt in Shotokan karate. Ingrid was born in Zurich, Switzerland, and speaks German and French. As required by her Swiss heritage, Ingrid is an avid skier.