Clients and Industries
Ed represents both corporate and individual clients in a diverse range of industries and disciplines including insurance, banking, construction, real estate, health care, retail, hospitality, marketing and manufacturing. He also has experience representing clients in personal injury, probate, employment and criminal cases and has assisted with corporate, transactional and administrative matters.
Practice Areas and Experience
Ed primarily handles complex civil litigation and white collar criminal cases and assists in the representation of clients in government enforcement and administrative proceedings. He actively participates in all phases of litigation from inception to trial and through appeal.
Ed’s involvement in a matter often arises before a lawsuit has even been filed. In the early stages of a case, his natural curiosity and attention to detail drive him. He has conducted numerous factual investigations, witness interviews and document reviews that have resulted in the uncovering of critical evidence used to his client’s advantage in the later stages of litigation.
Ed’s meticulous preparation, analytical skill and tenacity help him to achieve numerous successes as a litigator. He has experience with all types of pre-trial discovery, including taking and defending depositions of parties and both fact and expert witnesses. Ed has also researched, briefed, argued, and won several dispositive and discovery motions. His focus from day one is to have a case ready for trial and to openly communicate with his clients in order to achieve informed, cost-effective and favorable results on their behalf.
Professional Experience Outside of Collora LLP
Prior to joining Collora LLP in 2014, Ed was an associate with Cetrulo LLP, a Boston law firm, where his practice focused primarily on the defense of corporate clients in complex civil litigation. At Cetrulo, he was recognized for his versatility and ability to successfully handle matters in a wide array of industries and practice areas, including: complex business and insurance coverage disputes, personal injury (defendant and plaintiff), product and premises liability, employment, debtor-creditor, construction and environmental matters. Ed also assisted in the representation of clients in banking, real estate, and other transactional and administrative matters. Through his skill and effective advocacy both inside and outside the courtroom, Ed achieved successes on behalf of clients in a wide variety of matters.
After finishing law school, Ed worked as an attorney for his father’s law firm, O’Connor & Ryan P.C. in Fitchburg, MA, where he managed the firm’s personal injury practice and handled criminal cases. He attended law school at night and gained invaluable, practical experience by holding several different full time legal positions during the day. For two years, Ed worked as a paralegal at Sugarman and Sugarman, P.C., a premier plaintiff’s personal injury law firm in Boston. He also held positions with the City of Boston Law Department and a medium-sized Boston firm where he assisted in mass tort litigation and municipal liability defense. Before going to law school, Ed spent two years working as a commission-based mortgage originator where he was recognized as a top producer. He also spent a year interning for a Massachusetts State Senator.
Sample of Results in Practice *
- Obtained summary judgment, later upheld on appeal, on behalf of a self-insured national retailer in a negligence case involving catastrophic personal injuries where special damages exposure exceeded $1,000,000.
- Obtained dismissal of third-party lawsuit filed against national marketing company pursuant to a contractual mandatory arbitration provision. Secured insurance coverage on behalf of the client prior to the commencement of arbitration seeking defense and indemnification.
- Secured a preliminary injunction to enforce non-disclosure and non-solicitation provisions of an employment contract against a former employee of a corporate client.
- Located, interviewed and secured the affidavits and deposition testimony of two critical dual fact and expert witnesses aged 86 and 93 in connection with environmental contamination alleged to have originated from manufacturing equipment in the mid-1970s.
- Identified crucial evidence in support of a successful claim for spoliation of “black box” evidence against a national trucking company in connection with a fatal motor vehicle accident.
- Achieved a highly favorable settlement on behalf of a bicyclist involved in a collision with a motor vehicle.
- Negotiated settlements on behalf of two different clients involved in contentious business disputes arising out of bar and restaurant operations.
- Secured the release of a federal criminal defendant on bail over government objection.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of manufacturing defendant for personal injuries sustained by a temporary worker on the basis that the worker was the defendant’s “employee-at-law” thereby precluding the claim under the Massachusetts workers’ compensation statute.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of defendant in premises liability matter arising out of a slip-and-fall accident.
* This sampling of cases represents a selected, small portion of this lawyer’s total experience and past performance is not intended to be a representation of likely future results, which must be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Ed was inspired to go to law school, in part, by watching his father’s courageous courtroom advocacy on behalf of unpopular defendants in several high-profile criminal trials in Massachusetts. He has been a resident of Boston’s North End for ten years and enjoys travel, food, live music and exercise outside of the office. Ed also enjoys keeping in touch with his wide network of friends and colleagues throughout the Boston area, in other parts of the country and around the world.